Friday, November 21, 2008

I want, I need, so I ask.

I was shopping after work yesterday and was extremely bummed that I couldn't find anything cute, cheap, and something that fit. What is this world coming to!!! I was walking down an aisle in between the skirts and the half a piece of fabric they call shirts, when i heard it. A mother speaking very loudly, more than likely embarrassing her daughter because I know I was embarrassed for her. She said, "no, I'm not going to buy you something from Abercrombie when you're going to grow out of it in a week!" I looked over as the girl quickly dropped her stare to the floor in utter disappointment. "I'm not made of money you know," her mother continued. As I got a better look they were both not the most attractive I've seen, and the girl's clothes were ratty and didn't match. My heart was broken.

I remember growing up when I would hear that phrase time after time, "I'm not made of money", or "money doesn't grow on trees." I used to get so upset at my parents. I couldn't understand the concept of not getting what I wanted. I mean, all my friends did, so why not me? There was one time I remember I wanted a certain brand so badly but we couldn't afford it so my mom played a makeshift fashion designer and sewed on a label. I know my parents always wanted to give me the best, but they gave me the best they could. As a parent, I know you would love to give your children everything they wanted and anything to make them happy. Reality is, you can't afford to do that most of the time, and if they always got what they wanted they wouldn't learn to appreciate anything.

Matthew 7:11 says, " So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." Much like the mother in the store, I'm sure she wanted to give her daughter a credit card to go to Abercrombie so her daughter could look better than all the kids and they would think, man I wish I had her parents. But she couldn't afford to do it so she reacted in anger towards her daughter probably in frustration of knowing she has late bills, 5 kids who need clothes, and a dead end job. For benefit of telling a story. But Matthew tells us above, "those who ask him." Whether we be the child or the parent in this situation, we are still God's child. He will give good gifts to whoever asks Him.

People have grown up in religion thinking that God is the kind that wants the slash a whip and tell you to get back in line when you mess up. That He is sitting up there debating if you "deserve" something that you are asking for, and all He is doing is teaching you a lesson. WHAT? Really? Not even close. Come on people. GOD IS LOVE. Really, if that was the only thing you ever heard then you are doing good. If you can focus on just that then maybe that will blow your theologies out of the water that God is a God of wrath! He is a Father. If even the sinful dad's on this earth can go out and buy Abercrombie for their kids then don't you think a loving, wonderful, and perfect Father can do even more than that!?

This isn't about buying clothes or even just material gifts, but it is to show that we don't rely on our boss to provide for us. We don't need to rely on our spouse to provide for us. We don't need to rely on our parents to provide for us. God is our only provider. The Bible also says in Mark 11:24 "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." All you have to do is ask and believe. It's your's. Learn to believe that God loves you and only wants the best for you. Not only will He provide the things you need, but the things that you want according to His will. So you have no need to worry and don't you dare take credit for what you have. It's by His generous hand that you are blessed.

0 comments: